Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

King David's greatest sin (2 Samuel 11: 2 -5)

Now when evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the king's house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance. So David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, "Is this not Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uraiah the Hittite?"David sent messengers and took her and when she came to him, he lay with her; and when she had purified herself from her uncleanness, she returned to her house. The woman conceived; and she sent and told David , and said, "I am pregnant."

The biggest problem with David's adultery is that after without suspecting to see this beautiful woman bathing he took action and used the power God gave him to shepherd his people to assert his willl over God's. He doesn't stop here. Later he will take action to try to cover it up, so much so, that he brings the death of this woman's husband so that he will not have to confess it. Whether or not her husband knows, God knows and God will bring judgment against his king. It was from this sin that the 52nd psalm arose that pleads, "Create in me a clean heart O God. And renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence and take not your holy spirit from me." You see, David realized his sin was primarily against a holy God and then against man.

Daily Prayer: As hard as it can be, whenever I sin I must confess my sin to you father. Intentional sin is particularly difficult, because I know very well at the time of my sin that I stand in opposition to you. I cannot sit at the table of demons and the table of the Lord. It is comforting to know that even in my sin, I am still a son. This is because of Jesus and for his sake Amen.

No comments: