Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2011

King Solomon will receive wisdom from God (1Kings 3: 7-13)

LORD God, I'm your servant, and you've made me king in my father's place. But I'm very young and know so little about being a leader. And I now must rule your chosen people, even though there as too many of them to count. Please make me wise and teach me the difference between right and wrong. Then I will know how to rule your people. If you don't, there is no way I could rule this great nation of yours. God said: Solomon, I'm pleased that you asked for this. You could have asked to live a long time or to be rich. Or you could have asked for your enemies to be destroyed. Instead, you asked for wisdom to make right decisions. So I'll make you wiser than anyone who has ever lived or ever will live. I'll also give you what you didn't ask for. You'll be rich and respected as long as you live, and you'll be greater than any other king.

These verses are troublesome when you know the end from the beginning. Indeed God placed him on the throne and gave him the wisdom he sought. What he didn't get was the heart of David. David was a sinner who loved his savior and was a man after God's own heart. God made a covenant with him promising the Greater than David Jesus would rule from his throne.
Solomon on the other hand had fame, power, and wisdom, but will defy the living God in his own lifetime.

Daily Prayer: Father, create in me the love of you. Let me love you as I ought to. Too many times I drift into behavior that is from the world and not from you. If my love were as it should be, I would fight for my God and reject the world. This is my prayer for today. In Jesus name Amen.

No comments: