Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The hesed love of Ruth the Moabite (Ruth 1:16)

Buth Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God."

The background for this text is that Ruth is a woman from Moab who is the daughter-in-law to Naomi who is a Hebrew. Naomi's husband and her two sons died in Moab when they sojourned there during the time of a serious famine. Now, Naomi is returning to Israel, but her daughter-in-law, the Moabite, is pledging loyal love for her mother-in-law as they are both widows now.
Naomi urges her to return to the household of her father and pursue a new husband, as Ruth was a very beautiful young woman. Instead, Ruth sets aside her nationality, her father's house and desires to be with Naomi, no matter what the cost. Hesed love is the kind of love God gives.
It is unconditional and loyal love and this is the love poured our by Ruth to her mother-in-law. Instead of asking for Naomi to adopt her into her family, Ruth pledges it on her own - even to the extent of pledging love and worship to the God of Israel. This is far different from the way of the nations, but Ruth is a far different woman than the gentiles.

Daily Prayer: Lord, the love of Ruth is different from the love of men in that it is unconditional love like your's. By the power of the Holy Spirit who indwells me, transform me into a man of humlity who walks in submission to you. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: