Total Pageviews

Monday, March 21, 2011

God's covenant with David (11b - 16)

Now I promise (God speaking) that you and your descendants will be kings. I'll choose one of your sons to be king when you reach the end of your life and are buried in the tomb of your ancestors. I'll make him a strong ruler, and no one will be able to take his kingdom away from him. He will be the one to build a temple for me. I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I'll see that he is corrected, just as children are corrected by their parents. But I will never put an end to my agreement with him, as I put an end to my agreement with Saul, who was king before you. I will make sure that one of your descendants will always be king.

A covenant is a promise or an agreement that God is making with David which is unconditional, because it only depends on the actions of God to fulfill. God's promises David that his kingship will be an everlasting one, so much so that David's greater son who is Jesus Christ will proceed to David's throne in the latter days. We know that God withdrew the Holy Spirit from Saul, but God says my spirit will not depart from this king's administration. David desired to build God a temple because they had worshiped in a tent since the time of the exodus. God grant's David that his son will build his house and he will be a father to his son when his days are complete. God's promises to a David can only be measured by his promises to Abraham.

Daily Prayer: Father it is good to know that at the end of the day, all of your promises come true. I have learned that your measure of me is not on what I do, but who I am. This is because you are sufficient in yourself, but desire my heart to be where you are. This I pray Amen.

No comments: