Total Pageviews

Friday, March 18, 2011

Israel demands a king (1 Samuel 4-7)

One day the nation's leaders came to Samuel at Ramah and said, "You are an old man. You set a good example for your sons, buty they haven't followed it. Now we want a king to be our leader, just like all the other nations. Choose one for us! Samuel was upset to hear the leaders say they wanted a king, so he prayed about it. The LORD answered: Samuel, do everything they want you to do. I am really the one they have rejected as their king.

Up until this point, Israel had been without an earthly king for about 400 years. God met them at their point of need from the time that they left Egypt until this very day. God desired that the Israelites be a peculiar people unto himself, set apart for him and separate from the world.
But the Israelites turned and desired to be like the nations around them. It was because Samuel's own sons who had turned away from following their father that the Israelites pled their case. From here forward, it will be a long journey for the Israelites. There will be a few good kings that are set over them, but darn few. Instead, they will be under the rule of sinful men instead of a just God.

Daily Prayer: Father, in my life I have the right to choose. We don't have kings were I live, but I can choose to surrender to you my life and all that you have given me or I can choose to live for myself. Jesus said "seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you." Men find out the hard way and begrudgingly learn that I should let God be true because every man is a liar. Amen.

No comments: