Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (Joshua 23:11-13, 24:14)

"Be sure to always love the LORD your God. Don't ever turn your backs on him by marrying people from the nations that are left in the land. Don't even make friends with them. I tell you that if you are friendly with those nations, the LORD won't chase them away when you attack. Instead, they'll be like a trap for your feet, a whip on your back, and thorns in your eyes. And finally, none of you will be left in this good land that the LORD has given you. Worship the LORD, obey him, and always be faithful. Get rid of the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived on the other side of the Euphrates River and in Egypt. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
At this time, Joshua has reached the end of his lifetime. He is giving a parting farewell with wise instructions to the bretheren. At the time of his departure, all of the land of inheritance had not yet been conquered. There was still remnants of the nations among them. He is now reminding them of the failures of their fathers and how they feared the nations and didn't trust God to fight for them. Because of their faithlessness, God did not let them enter the land, but let the second generation of Israelites in. Now he is exhorting them to not be like the other nations by imitating them or befriending them. Instead, be a peculiar people to God, holy in their ways and trust in God to rid them of their enemies.
Daily Prayer: Father, faithfulness needs to be characteristic for me also. There are times when I am selfish or even absent minded. This can only be from a lack of true love. True love doesn't have lapses. Instead, it meditates on how they themselves can do even more for the one I love. Let this be true in my as well. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: