Total Pageviews

Friday, September 28, 2012

Luke 12:16-20 The Shallowness of Riches


And He told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man was very productive. And he began reasoning to himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?’  Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.”’  But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’
Many people value money as though it were a loving, living being, but it is not.  It can neither speak nor hear, and it cares not about right or wrong.  It comes not to your defense and is as happy with another man as with you.  Yet we place more value on our “stuff” than on God.
To this God replies that you are a fool and this very night your soul will be required of you.  How is it that men can eat their full, yet still crave food?  It is because we have made idols of things and things are lost the moment we leave this life.  This is why Jesus said, “Father forgive them, they know not what they do.”  And then He died on the Cross to pay the penalty for our sins so that whoever receives Him as Savior will have eternal life.
Daily Prayer:  Lord Jesus, I thank you that I have enough, but no more than my daily bread.  You know how frail a man’s heart is so it is much better to honor God in thanksgiving for daily bread, because He will guard the soul from torment and from the enemy who is the Evil One. I praise You for Your wisdom in life matters.  Amen and Amen.

No comments: