Total Pageviews

Friday, July 20, 2012

Mark 14:32-34 Jesus in Gethsemane

They came to a place named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, “Sit here until I have prayed.” And He took with Him Peter and James and John, and began to be very distressed and troubled. And He said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved to the point of death; remain here and keep watch.”

The three disciples who are with Jesus are Peter, James, and John, who are the core group of His followers. He shares with them His trouble and commands them to watch out for him while he prays.

This will be an unpleasant sight as we move forward. Even though Peter has been told by Jesus that he will deny Him, Peter does not protect himself against Satan by entering into prayer just as Jesus did.

In his flesh, Peter is no stronger than the next person, yet when his example in Jesus prays, he does not imitate him or join in prayer, but instead lays victim to what lies ahead. What Peter needs to learn is that it is not about him, but about God, and to do things God’s way, it cannot been done apart from Him.

Daily Prayer: Father, it is easy to criticize someone else, but unless I become watchful over my own patterns of behavior, I will be no better off than Peter, nor will I have learned anything from his loss. Instead, let me draw on the Spirit whom You have placed in me to lead me into all truth and to be my guide to life until I am in the presence of Jesus myself. The Spirit is the same kind of helper as is Jesus, so let me depend on Him. Amen.

No comments: