Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Matthew 26:36-38 Jesus' Agony in the Garden

Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and distressed. Then He said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me.”

The only way in which Jesus can be the Savior of humankind is if he is fully man and fully divine. Jesus’ most usual title in the gospels is the Son of Man. In these verses, Jesus is retreating to the Garden of Gethsemane to seek spiritual strength from his Father. He admits to being deeply grieved over his coming events which are his arrest, trial, betrayal, and death. At this point, he is seeking oneness with God so that he may fully satisfy Him. He concludes this section by making an imperative to his disciples to remain and keep watch with him.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, many times in my life I have found myself to be like the disciples and unable to carry out Your charge. Instead of me comforting you, you comfort me. By Your grace, take me and all that I know step by step, the way you would take a child, until I am able to walk with You without stumbling. In Your Holy Name I pray Amen.

No comments: