Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Matthew 26:26-34 Lord’s Supper Instituted - Peter's Betrayal

While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.” After singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. Then Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away because of Me this night, for it is written, ‘I WILL STRIKE DOWN THE SHEPHERD, AND THE SHEEP OF THE FLOCK SHALL BESCATTERED.’ But after I have been raised, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.” But Peter said to Him, “Even though all may fall away because of You, I will never fall away.” Jesus said to him, “Truly I say to you that this very night, before a rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”

Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper as an everlasting means of grace. Just as when Jesus fulfilled His earthly ministry by healing and forgiving those who came to him in faith, now in the launching of the New Covenant (a better covenant) Jesus makes forgiveness available to those who come to Him in this table to receive forgiveness through His body and his blood. On this important day, Peter, even with the best of intentions shows that prophecy cannot fail by joining in with all of those who fell away from Jesus when His hour had come.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, just as Your hour had come, now it is our hour. In the Day of the Lord, nobody can refuse to make a choice. You will either chose Jesus as your Savior and live, or you will not place your hope in Him and you will surely perish. When one dies this second death, it is an everlasting one, because only one offer for redemption is offered. Failure to choose Jesus in this life and eternal consequences so let nobody try it alone. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: