Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Matthew 16: 21-23 Jesus Foretells His Death

From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day. Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to you.” But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

There couldn’t have been a more stunning rebuke to Peter than for Jesus to call him Satan. Even though Jesus was revealed to Peter as the Messiah, he now wants to limit God’s grace by trying to thwart the Cross of Christ which is the sign of the New Covenant whereby Jesus will draw all men and women to Himself for the forgiveness of sins and for the sake of eternal life in Him. It seems that Peter does not know the nature of eternal life and that it is needed by him as well as we will see, especially because of his denying Jesus when Jesus was on trial. In the end, all of the disciples, less John will flee in His procession to the Cross.

Daily Prayer: Jesus, you taught me to be your disciple I must take up my cross and follow you every day. By your strength and according to your will, enable me through the Holy Spirit to put to death my flesh so that I may obey you and live. In Your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: