Total Pageviews

Friday, March 2, 2012

Matthew 12:46-50 You shall have no one before Me

While He was still speaking to the crowds, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him. Someone said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to you.” But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is my mother and who are my brothers?” And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, “Behold My mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother.”

At times, Jesus seemed distant even from those who were closest to him. This is because Jesus’ first and foremost relationship was with Father-God. Jesus himself said that to be a disciple, one cannot put anything or anyone ahead of God. This includes himself because Jesus was first the incarnate Son of God, before the days of his taking on of flesh. This does not mean that he minimized his parents, as it was Jesus who said to his mother on the Cross, “behold your son (indicating his disciple John) and behold your mother.”

Daily Prayer: Father, by the work of the Holy Spirit strengthens my faith to the point where my only sufficiency is found in You. Let me not lean unto my understanding, but give me wisdom to lead a godly life. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: