Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

James 2:14-17 Faith Without Works

What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary fort heir body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.

These are some of the most contested verses in the Bible. Martin Luther ripped them out of his own Bible! In my day, however, they are better understood. Justification before God cannot involve works of the Law, because it is all by faith in Jesus who fulfilled that Law that men are saved. What these verses are saying is that there is a difference between the sinner saved by grace and the life-style of the disciple of Jesus Christ. Both are by saved by grace apart from works, and the gift to both is a free gift from God. The disciple, on the other hand, once justification is received goes on to surrender everything to Christ in the life that he leads. Salvation is free for both, but a disciple will give up everything for the cause of Christ. This is why Jesus said "When I was hungry, did you give me something to eat?. Or when I was thirsty, did you offer me drink? When I was naked, did you cloth me? When I was in prison, did you visit me? " The people said to him, "When did we see you hungry, thirsty, naked, or in prison?" Jesus replied, When you do it to the least of these, you have done it to me."

Daily Prayer: Lord I thank you for the free gift of salvation. Now I ask for the heart of the disciple who will continue your journey here on earth, imitating the life you led while you served the Father in your flesh. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: