Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Matthew 12: 30-32 the unpardonable sin

He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives Him who sent me. He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward. And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink; truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.”

When it comes to rewards, it comes in the context of discipleship. Salvation is a free gift, but discipleship costs you everything. With this background, Jesus tells his followers that he who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. So it is clear that to be a disciple of Jesus means that you have no greater relationship than with him. In return all who receive Jesus, whether as a prophet, or as a righteous their reward will not be lost.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, I say with my lips that I am a disciple of yours, but I know that I have not come that far yet. To be your disciple, I must not only receive you as savior, but also must receive you as lord over my life. Grant me the faith to take this final step. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: