Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Luke 18: 1-8 Parables on prayer

Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart, saying, “In a certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man. There was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, ‘Give me legal protection from my opponent.’ For a while he was unwilling; but afterward he said to himself, ‘Even though I do not fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out.’” And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge said; now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?”

This is a tale of contrasts. Jesus often compares the resources of the Child of God with those who are of this world (a child of Satan). He also compares the poor (the widow) with the elect. Jesus gives credit to those who do not belong to God when they show craftiness or perseverance in this world. In the same way, if the Chosen were to live with the same zeal, life would be a breeze for them, because they petition to an all powerful and sovereign Father. Our lesson is that we should strive to have our concerns heard by the Ultimate Just Judge in the Father.

Daily Prayer: Father, it is strange that a disciple of Jesus Christ should be found saying, Teach me how to pray." A child never asks his parent for instructions on how to speak. Speaking with earnest desire is what prayer is. Let us not stray from this daily need in our life. Satan does not want us to pray or feel that we will be heard, but rebuke Satan in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. In his holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: