Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Psalm 22: 1-8 David echoes Christ's words from the cross (prophetic & messianic)

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? 2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer. 3 Yet you are holy O you who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel. 4 In you our fathers trusted; they trusted and you delivered them. 5 To you they cried out and were delivered; in you they trusted and were not disappointed. 6 But I am a worm and not a man, a reproach of men and despised by the people. 7 All who see me sneer at me; they wag the head, saying "Commit yourself to the Lord, let him deliver him; let him rescue him, because he delights in him."

The opening words of these verses were cried out by Jesus on the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Before this, Jesus had never called his Father "God." It was when he was bearing the sins of the world on his account that he became isolated from the Father and Jesus in his innocence calls him God. But Jesus is the Son of God but on the cross, God turns his back on the Son and allows him to endure by himself the sins of the world. Jesus was the Passover Lamb. It was at the cross that the thief to his left along with the crowd said that if he is the Son of God, have God deliver him. But as the sin bearer, he had to die so that many others could live.

Daily Prayer: Holy Jesus, you took my sins too on the cross at Calvary. Thank you for being the True Son who obeys the will of God, even to the extent of suffering and dying on the Cross. Let me do my part in bringing the Gospel of Jesus Christ into a fallen World. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: