Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Psalm 13 Prayer for help in trouble (A psalm of lament)

1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? 3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death. 4 My enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your lovingkindness; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

The apparent silence of God is something that the wicked have referred to in previous psalms and we find the believer's desire for deliverance. Now the psalmist himself admits that God seems to have turned away; this causes him anguish, and he begs God to take action and he makes it clear that God has already come to his rescue. The prayer begins with a heartfelt appeal, repeated four times, in which he puts forward three reasons why God should intervene - his apparent forgetfulness of man, the pain that he is suffering, and the danger that his enemies will prevail. In the Christian Church this danger experienced by the myrters as Revelation uncovers: "When the fifth seal was opened I say under the altar the souls of those who have been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne." (Rev. 6:9)

Daily Prayer: The purpose of man is to glorify God and to exalt the Son. With this purpose in mind, place me in those places and situations where I can accomplish all that you have for my service to you. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: