Total Pageviews

Friday, May 27, 2011

Proverbs 24: precepts and warnings

Do not be envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them. Their minds devise violence and their lips talk of trouble. One who plans to do evil men will call a schemer. The devising of folly is sin, and the scoffer is an abomination to men. Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles. The Lord will see it and be displeased, and turn his anger away from him. Do not say, "Thus I shall do to him as he has done to me; I will render to the man according to his work." I passed by the field of a sluggard, and the vineyard of the man lacking sense. Behold, it was completely overgrown with thistles; its surface was covered with nettles. "A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest." Then your poverty will come as a robber, and you want like an armored man.

In these passages we are told not to even associate with those who are evil. We are not to compare our work or our wages to theirs, but instead to our work as to the Lord. For one who resists wisdom and sound instruction will bring his own ruin and judgment. The Lord reserves the right to reward the just and bring judgment against evil. He who is wise neither exalts himself nor condemns the unjust. Those with instruction and understanding fear the Lord and exalt his ways as superior to his own and to the ways of the schemers. Finally, we are taught to put our hand to the plow and spend our time abundantly, because this pleases the Lord.

Daily Prayer: By your spirit, direct my path. Let me not frustrate the work of the Holy Spirit, but instead follow his guidance in my life knowing that his ways are higher than my ways, and his thoughts higher than my thoughts. This I pray in Jesus name Amen.

No comments: