Total Pageviews

Monday, May 9, 2011

God appears to Job, Job repents, and God restores him (Job 40-1-4,42: 5-6, 10

Then the LORD said to Job, "Will the faultfinder contend with the Almighty? Let him who reproves God answer it." Then Job answered the LORD and said, "Behold, I am insignificant; what can I reply to you?" I lay my hand on my mouth. Then the LORD answered Job out of a storm and said, "Now gird up your loins like a man; I will ask you and you will instruct me. "Will you really annul My judgment? Will you condemn me that you may be justified?" Then Job answered the LORD and said, "I have heard of you by the hearing of the ear; But now my eye sees you; Therefore I retract, And I repent in dust and ashes." The LORD restored the fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends, and the LORD increased all that Job had twofold.

What then is the conclusion of the book? Initially Satan was given permission by God to tempt and to test Job, whom God calls his servant. God would not permit the taking of his life. Through a series of misfortunes and illnesses, Job is humbled in the community where he was considered a leader. Those who called themselves his friends concluded Job was being punished by God for hidden sin in his life. In the end, God makes it known that Job was being tested by God and God rebuked Job's friends, but exalted Job his servant.

Daily Prayer: Lord you are my father and I am your son. When I am going through times of testing, let my answers not come from the world, but from you alone. We can do that because Jesus Christ, your Greater Son has made a way for me to approach the Allmighty God through the righteousness of Jesus Christ who laid down his life for me so that I will not die, but have eternal life. It is in his name that I pray Amen.

No comments: