Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

John 21:15-17 Jesus Reinstates Peter


 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

These important verses demand our reference to the Greek for proper understanding.  Remember that Peter had denied knowing Jesus prior to this event.  Jesus had been crucified for the forgiveness of sins and now the resurrected Jesus appears to Peter and asks Peter, Do you love me sacrificially (agape love) more than these your brethren? Jesus was asking if his love was greater than that of the other disciples.  Peter, not wanting to misrepresent himself answer (interpreted from the Greet)  You know I am Your friend.  So Jesus lowers his request to Peter when He asks Do you love me?  (leaving off more than the other disciples).  Peter answers You I am Your friend.  So finally Jesus comes to the place where Peter is when Jesus asks him Peter am I your friend?  Peter is embarrassed and replies, Lord you know all things, Yes I am Your friend.  Jesus replies, "Go and feed my  sheep.)  Meaning Jesus invites him back into the ministry.

Daily Prayer:  Lord, let us learn and be forgiven for our mistakes.  Let us live our live in You so that we may dwell in Your house forever.  In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: