Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Acts 2: 37-40 The In gathering - Repentance and What That Means To Us

Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brethren, what shall we do?”  Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself.”  And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation!”

We have to remember our battle in life is not against flesh and blood, but against powers, principalities, and rulers over dark places.  Before a person can be saved, they like the ones in today's reading need to be "pierced in the heart" which our conviction of our own sinful selves.  What should we do the sinner asks:
We must repent of our sins which means we must agree with God about our sins. Sometimes we cannot help ourselves from sinning, but cannot quit agreeing with God about it.  This is what Paul meant when he said, The things that I want to do I do not do, but the things that I hate, I find myself doing.  Therefore it is no longer I that sin, but the sin that dwells within me.  In other words, Paul's inner-man desires to fulfill the Law, but sometimes his body cannot do it, but his mind has been given over to God and He heartily agrees with God.  This is called repentance

Daily Prayer:  Lord, reassure me that if I have repent my sins are forgiven. That does not mean that my flesh can overtake its desire to sin, but quench it when it arises so that may overcome the battle that dwells within me between worldliness and godliness.  In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: