Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

John 17:11-26 "Do Not Take My Followers Out Of The World, But Keep Them From The Evil One

I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.  While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves.  I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.  As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.  For their sake I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth.I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word;  that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one;  I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.  Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.“O righteous Father, although the world has not known You, yet I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me;  and I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

The crux of Jesus' high priest prayer is this "I do not ask that You take them out of the world, but to keep them from the Evil One."  Jesus is referring me us.  He wants us in the world doing His work until the time of His return.  If it weren't for us the the work of the Holy Spirit, the world would go to hell.  The other main point is that He desires that His followers are given spiritual power by the indwelling of the godhead in the life of the believer.  That is why we can say "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."  This is our life and our calling in Christ Jesus.

Daily Prayer:  Lord, live Your life through me.  There is no greater honor than being of service to the Savior of the world.  But  give me also strength, the kind of strength you petitioned for me so that many may come to know Your gospel through words you place in my mouth.  In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: