Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 17, 2013

John 13:36-38 Maturity in Faith

Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, where are You going?” Jesus answered, Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you will follow later. Peter said to Him, “Lord, why can I not follow You right now? I will lay down my life for You.” Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times.

When Jesus speaks, He speaks the truth.  We don't quite understand Him because our lives are a blend of truth and speech of the flesh.  Jesus had said to the Pharisees, "Where I go, you cannot come."  They concluded He would kill Himself.  Now Jesus tells His disciple to the same thing and he questions, "Why not?"  He was a lot closer to the truth when he said, "Lord, I will lay down my life for You."  But Jesus, knowing the power of the flesh questions him, "Will you."  Jesus understood that commitment to  Him is a process and that Peter still had lessons to learn before he could fulfill that vow.

Daily Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are a Savior indeed.  Even though You are full man and full God, You did not permit Your flesh keep You from the Cross!  Instead You proclaimed, "Not my will, but thy will be done.  Because of the cross, keep me steadfast in faith and follow You step by step until I reach Your goal for my life.  In Your holy name I pray Amen.  

No comments: