Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 9, 2013

John 11:37-44 Jesus is the Great "I Am"


But some of them said, “Could not this man, who opened the eyes of the blind man, have kept this man also from dying?” So Jesus, again being deeply moved within, came to the tomb. Now it was a cave, and a stone was lying against it.  Jesus said, “Remove the stone.” Martha, the sister of the deceased, said to Him, “Lord, by this time there will be a stench, for he has been dead four days.”  Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”  So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised His eyes, and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me.  I knew that You always hear Me; but because of the people standing around I said it, so that they may believe that You sent Me.”  When He had said these things, He cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth.”  The man who had died came forth, bound hand and foot with wrappings, and his face was wrapped around with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.”

Seven times in the Gospel of John, Jesus declares “I am…”  I am the bread of life, I am the good shepherd.  I am the gate.  I am the way, the truth and the light.  In today’s context, I am the resurrection and the life.  Whoever comes unto me will not perish, but have everlasting life.  The life that Jesus restored to Lazarus here was temporary, because he will die again.  But upon his passing, he will inherit eternal life.  And this is the life he offers us, the readers today.  And this inheritance can occur now, the pension of life everlasting if you take hold of Jesus Christ as your Savior.  Amen.

Daily Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You came not just for those told about in the Bible but for all people everywhere.  What we don’t understand is that You knew us before the beginning of time.  Strengthen our faith so that we can place total faith in You for all things, even if they are out of the grasp of humanity.  In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: