Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2011

Jehovah brings judgment against Judah, but spares the remnant (2 Chronicles 34: 22-24, 26-28)

Hilkiah and the four other men left right away and went to talk with Hildah the prophetess. Her husband was Shallum, who was in charge of the king's clothes. Hildah lived in the northern part of Jerusalem, and they when they met in her in her home she said: You were sent here by King Josiah, and this is what the LORD God of Israel says to him: "Josiah, I am the LORD! And I intend to punish this country and everyone in it, just as the book says. Josiah, listen to what I am going to do. I noticed how sad you were when you heard that this country and its people would be completely wiped out. You even tore your clothes in sorrow, and I heard you cry. So before I destroy this place, I will let you die in peace." The men left and reported to Josiah what Huldah had said. Yahweh is a God of justice, but he has mercy on a contrite heart. Josiah was the king who found the Book of the Law in the temple and had it read to him by the scribes. When he heard their words, he tore his royal clothes understanding that these were the words of God's Covenant and the people and their fathers had not obeyed them. He tried to institute reform as Hezekiah before him had done, but the people were far away from God and were acting like the nations instead of the people of God. The Law of the Covenant is clear, they need to be carried into exile and removed from the land. Daily Prayer: Father it is necessary for me to live a life pleasing to you. In my day, it is not a Book of the Law but it is walking humbly before the LORD. Sacrifices do not please you, but a broken heart and a contrite spirit is the mark of those who belong to you. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: