Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 23, 2011

God hears & responds to Nehemiah's prayer for Jerusalem (Nehemiah 2: 5,7,9-10)

Then I told the king (that is King Artaxerxes of Prussia), "Sir, if it's all right with you, send me back to Judah, so that I can rebuild the city where my ancestors are buried." Then I asked, "Your Majesty, would you be willing to give me letters to the governors of the provinces west of the Euphrates River, so that I can travel safely to Judah?" The king sent some army officers and cavalry troops along with me, and as I traveled through the Western Provinces, I gave the letters to the governors. But when Sanballat from Horon and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard about what had happened, they became very angry, because they didn't want anyone to help the people of Israel.

God influenced the disposition of the king favorably toward Nehemiah who is the cupbearer to the king. The king wanted to please Nehemiah so he grants his request to journey to Jerusalem to rebuild the walls and the gates of the city there. The neighbors of the people in Judah did not want anyone to come to Israel's aid, because Jerusalem had been desolate since the time of the Babylonian exile. But God was engineering the rebuilding of the city and remembers the promises he made to David that there would remain a king over his throne there.

Daily Prayer: Jesus teaches us that if we seek first the Kingdom of God, all these things will be added unto it. Let me both know and do your will father. Let me have the confidence that when I do things your way, you will both come before me and follow after me. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: