Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

Distress in Jerusalem & Nehemiah's Prayer PT 2 (Nehemiah 1: 5-11)

Lord God of heaven, you are great and fearsome. And you faithfully keep your promises to everyone who loves you and obeys your commands. I am your servant, so please have mercy on me and answer the prayer that I make day and night for these people of Israel who serve you. I, my family, and the rest of your people have sinned. Please remember the promise you made to Moses. You told him that if we were unfaithful, you would scatter us among foreign nations. But you also said that no matter how far away we were, we could turn to you and obey your laws. Then you would bring us back to the place where you have chosen to be worshiped. Our Lord, I am praying for your servants - those you rescued by your great strength and mighty power. Answer my prayer and the prayer of you servants who gladly honor your name. When I serve the king his wine today, make him be pleased with me and have him do what I ask.

In this prayer, Nehemiah is praying for the people and the well being of the nation. He begins by acknowledging God's ability and strength in this matter and lays out the sins of the people. He reminds God of what he has already said and promised, just as Moses would cool the wrath of God by his choice to remember. He is not praying for personal gain, but for the good of the nation, the good of Jerusalem and the good of God as God chose Jerusalem as the place to set his name and the Jews who he calls his people.

Daily Prayer: Father, so many of my prayers are self-centered. Leadership is the ability to go beyond personal needs and to intercede for the needs of those who may not be able to help themself. Give all who call on your name grace as they approach the Throne of the Most High. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: