Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

2 Corinthians 12: 7 - 10 A Thorn in the Flesh

Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

These are important verses in the understanding of New Testament theology. The natural man believes that through obedience that they will receive reward. Yet here we have an apostle of Jesus Christ coming to God three times for relief from a physical impairment and was refused. Christ's reply is that, "My grace is sufficient for you." He knows what is best for his disciple. It may be that through this defect of the flesh, that he remained humble and loyal to his Savior. Whatever the reasoning, Christ replied that his power is exercised through the weaker and more common vessel.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, I too face impairments of the flesh that have never left me. I have seizures that sometimes make me look foolish, yet I understand that you have the ability to set me free, but have chosen to let your grace be sufficient for me. Other times, you have come without my asking for a healing that only you can do. For this reason, I have grown to trust in your faithfulness and judgment in my life. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: