Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Luke 5:12-15 The Leper is Cleansed

While He was in one of the cities, behold, there was a man covered with leprosy; and when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and implored Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” And He stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” And immediately the leprosy left him. And He ordered him to tell no one, “But go and show yourself to the priest and make an offering for your cleansing, just as Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” But the news about Him was spreading even farther, and large crowds were gathering to hear Him and to be healed of their sicknesses.

If a person is not familiar with leprosy or have ever seen it’s affliction, then there is an ignorance to this horrible debilitating disease. In today’s lesson, a man from Galilee comes to Jesus and asks the only appropriate question which is if you are willing, will you cleanse me?

He acknowledges Christ’s ability to heal him with a word, but seeks Jesus’ will over his own situation. To such a one, Jesus in not inclined with withhold goodness which He has the power to extend, so he replies that He is willing and the man was cleansed. Jesus will almost always follow a miracle with a command, “Do not tell anyone,” but instead he spread the news throughout the region. Jesus prefers that the right hand not know what the left is doing, because He came into the world as the Great Redeemer, not the great physician.

Daily Prayer: Lord, in Your responses to m y prayers, let Your yes be yes and Your no be no. In the same way, let me be satisfied with what comes from Your hand because I know that You care for me and have the power to do whatever You will for my life, so let me trust you with my life and not worry. In Your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: