Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Philippians 1:1-7 Don't worry, God is in control

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all God’s holy people in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Thanksgiving and Prayer I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. There are two important things to take note of. First the habit Paul forms for giving thanks understanding that all good things come from God. The second is an important verse for us sinners when we struggle with sin and strive for righteousness. Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God it can be depressing when we have our backslides. And then we stop and think I know I am saved and that God loves me. And then we recall he verse, "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath given a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." In other words it was God himself who called you to salvation and indwelt us with the Holy Spirit. Sanctification, then is a work of God and not of myself, so that even when I mess up, I don't have to trust on myself to make things right because God has committed himself to that very task and I know God doesn't fail and what he decides to do. Then I can confess my sin and move forward knowing that God and the Spirit of God are in control. Amen.

No comments: